Getting your practice to the top of Google Places (ie. Google Maps search results) is one of the easiest and most effective ways of getting in found by potential patients
Most medical providers don’t typically think of Google Places when considering how to get more business, but this is definitely worth paying attention to. People being unable to easily find you on Google Maps means missed appointments, lower patient satisfaction, and missed opportunities to gain new patients.
What kinds of searches can you show up on?
It’s common sense that when someone searches for “Dr. Jane Smith Ob/Gyn” that the specific practice would be the first to show up. But there’s much more to search than that.
Using carefully planned keywords you can show up for less targeted searches.
Keywords: What searches you should target
Keywords are a big part of Google searches, both in the maps and in the traditional search engine. To find the best keywords for your practice to target, you’ll have to think like a patient.
Dr. Smith may consider keywords like:
- “Best Ob/Gyn in Chicago”
- “Ob/Gyn near me”
- “Ob/Gyn near 60611”
- “Best reviewed gynecologist”
- The name of her practice
Here’s an example of what a search like this could show:
When someone searches a broad term like this, you’ll want to be one of the first ones to show up and keywords are how you get to the top.
There are a lot of things people might type into Google. Make a list of your potential keywords and determine which ones reflect your business best. Those are the ones you’ll want to try first.
Pro SEO Tip: You can use tools like Google Adwords Keyword Planner to determine how often a keyword is searched, and tools like MOZ to find out how difficult the keyword is to rank for.
The great news about Google Places is you don’t have to compete with the whole world, like you might on a traditional Google search, just with your local area.
Setting up a Google My Business Account
It’s not hard to set up an account. Just follow these steps:
- Set up a Google My Business account
- Verify your business
- Fill out information about your business
Simple Tips for Success
- Use high-quality images for your listing. Images of your building, logo, and staff are good choices.
- Keep your information up to date (hours of operation, contact information, etc.)
- Avoid having more than one listing. You don’t want to compete with yourself or confuse people.
- Test your position in an incognito window. Google Chrome gives results based on your search history. An incognito window will let you search without this interference.
- Check back in often to see how you’re ranking.